Visa applications

How to apply for U.S citizenship visa application

A U.S. visa is a document issued by the U.S. Department of State that allows a foreign citizen to travel to the United States for a specific purpose. There are many different types of U.S. visas, each with its own requirements.

The processing time for a U.S. visa varies depending on the type of visa and the country where you are applying. In general, it takes about 21 workdays to process a visa application. However, the processing time can be longer for certain types of visas, such as student visas.

On this articles we’ll explain all various U.S. citizenship types and methods

U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization

Becoming a citizen through naturalization is a process in which a non-U.S. citizen voluntarily becomes an American citizen. U.S. citizens:

Owe their allegiance to the United States

To become a U.S. citizen, you must:

Have a  Permanent Resident (Green) Card? You can apply through this link Permanent Resident (Green) Card 

  •  for at least five years, or for at least three years if you’re filing as the spouse of a U.S. citizen.
  • You must renew your Permanent Resident Card before applying for citizenship if:Your card will expire within six months of applying, or
  • Your card has already expired
  • You can apply for naturalization before you receive your new Green Card. But, you’ll need to submit a photocopy of the receipt for your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, when you receive it.  
  • Meet certain eligibility requirements. To see if you’re eligible, click on the link that is most similar to your situation. Some requirements may include being:
    • At least 18 years old when you apply 
    • Able to read, write, and speak basic English
    • Of good moral character
  • Go through the 10-step naturalization process which includes:

Certificates of Citizenship and Naturalization

A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship is granted to a person who acquires or derives citizenship from his or her birth to U.S. parents. A naturalization certificate, on the other hand, is granted to a person who becomes a citizen through the naturalization process.

To become a naturalized U.S. citizen, a person must fill out all necessary forms, including the N-400.  The applicant must already be a green card holder to fill out this form, and must meet certain eligibility requirements, including length of residence, continuous residence and ability to speak and read English. Applicants are required to appear for an interview, and then must pass a civics test and in some situations an English test.

If the applicant is approved, they will take part in a naturalization ceremony where they are required to take the Oath of Allegiance to America. After this, a certificate of naturalization will be granted that proves citizenship. Check the link for eligibility status  Certificate of Citizenship 

Dual Citizenship or Nationality.

Dual citizenship (or dual nationality) means a person may be a citizen of the United States and another country at the same time. U.S. law does not require a person to choose one citizenship or another.

If you’re a citizen of another country, contact that country’s embassy or consulate for information about its:

  • Laws and policies, including those about dual nationality
  • Mandatory military service

If you have dual citizenship and plan to travel to or from the United States, you must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

A licensed attorney skilled in citizenship matters can assist you with questions about your situation. A local bar association can often provide a good referral. 

Establish Citizenship Without a Birth Certificate

If you were born in the U.S. and there is no birth certificate on file, you will need several different documents to prove your citizenship:

If you were born outside the United States and your U.S. parent(s) did not register your birth at the U.S. Embassy or consulate, you may apply for a U.S. passport, but you will need:

  • Your foreign birth record showing your parents’ names
  • Evidence of your parent(s) U.S. citizenship
  • Your parents’ marriage certificate

If you were born outside the U.S. and your U.S. parent(s) registered your birth with a U.S. Embassy, the U.S. Department of State (DOS) will be able to help you get a copy of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240).

U.S. Citizenship for People Born Abroad or in U.S. Territories

You are a U.S. citizen if:

[NB. some of the links are direct redirect to U.S website, otherwise you can visit the the site ]. You can as well read our other articles on


  1. I do agree with all of the ideas you’ve presented to your post. They’re really convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are too quick for novices. May you please prolong them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

Leave a Reply

Back to top button